LIMA - The Catholic Church has yet to help authorities in Peru who are investigating whether a defrocked bishop sexually abused children before Pope Francis forced him from his post in a poor Andean region, a prosecutor said on Thursday.
On Sept. 20, the attorney general's office opened an investigation into Gabino Miranda, until recently the auxiliary bishop of Ayacucho in southern Peru, after a prominent bishop said the Church had kicked Miranda out of the clergy because of suspected pedophilia.
No one has filed any formal complaints against Miranda, who has denied wrongdoing with minors through intermediaries, and it is unclear where he is now.
Garry Chavez, the prosecutor leading the investigation, said church officials based in Peru and in Vatican City have yet to respond to several requests for details about the case.
"The fact is they have not given us any information so far, despite our summons," Chavez told Reuters. "What we are going to do now is reiterate to them that the law requires their cooperation."
The president of Peru's bishop conference, Salvador Pineiro, said in a statement on Thursday that he supports the investigation and hopes it will reveal the truth soon.
Pineiro, who is also Archbishop of Ayacucho and oversaw Miranda for two years, said all he knows about the case is that on July 5 he was notified Pope Francis was discharging Miranda because of "sins against the sixth commandment, in a process subject to pontifical secrecy."
The Bible's sixth commandment - "thou shalt not commit adultery" - is interpreted by Catholics as encompassing a variety of other sexual offences, from pornography and gay sex to child molestation.