BRUNEI- The Brunei embassy in Cairo has devised a contingency plan to ensure the safety of Bruneians is not compromised in the ongoing unrest in Egypt, it said in a statement yesterday.
Bruneian students currently sitting for their examinations at Al-Azhar University in Cairo were provided with transportation to and from the university, the embassy said.
To further ensure their safety, the students are accompanied by staff from the Brunei embassy.
The embassy also stated that it carried several briefings including the current political developments and safety procedures to be taken in case of emergency.
The statement also assured that the briefings would continue from time to time to ensure the safety and well-being of Bruneians in Egypt. "As of December 31, 2013, a total of 197 Bruneians are residing in Egypt including 158 students," it said. The statement said the embassy had also implemented additional security measures by advising its citizens to refrain from unnecessary outdoor activities, to avoid going out alone and to be vigilant of their surroundings.
The statement further said the embassy is in constant contact with Brunei nationals, as well as the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade to update the latest developments on the ground.
Some parents had previously expressed concerns over the safety of their children who are studying at Al-Azhar University.
A bomb blast in Cairo on Boxing Day wounded five people. Local newspapers reported it was the second attack this week after a suicide bomber killed 16 people north of the capital on Tuesday.
It was also reported the Cairo blast was the first aimed at civilians in recent wave attacks. However, there was no claim of responsibility.
Al-Jazeera reported that two Al-Azhar University students died on gunshot wounds in a clash with government security during anti-coup protests.