BRAZIL - She was getting ready to go to work on Tuesday morning when she heard a noise at the door. She opened the front door and saw her husband's rucksack.
Her husband, former professional footballer Joao Rodrigo Silva Santos, 35, had been allegedly snatched from outside his shop in a district in Brazil's Rio de Janeiro the previous night.
Mr Santos' brother-in-law, who did not want to be named, told Brazil's Globo G1 that the wife, Ms Geisa Silva, 31, was horrified to see her husband's head in the rucksack.
He said: "I did not want to look, but the people who saw it said his face was also disfigured."
Police in Brazil have launched a manhunt to find the culprits. Police said body parts dumped beside a city river were believed to be those of Mr Santos.
Mrs Silva said the couple had not been subjected to any threats.
Lead murder investigator Rafael Rangel said witnesses saw armed men kidnap the former footballer.
Get The New Paper for more stories.