France confirms death of second citizen in London Bridge attack

France confirms death of second citizen in London Bridge attack
Commuters walk past flowers and messages left outside Monument Underground station next to London Bridge.
PHOTO: Reuters

France said on Wednesday that two of its citizens were among the seven people killed when militants drove a van into revelers and then went on a stabbing spree in central London on Saturday.

The foreign ministry said in a statement that a third French national was still missing and that four were gravely injured.

Le Parisien daily newspaper named the dead man as 36-year-old Sebastian Belanger.

London police said late on Tuesday that they feared a French tourist, 45-year-old Xavier Thomas, had been thrown into the River Thames by the attackers' van and drowned. His girlfriend was seriously injured in the collision.

Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.