Kerry urges new nuclear proposals from Iran

Kerry urges new nuclear proposals from Iran

NUSA DUA, Indonesia - US Secretary of State John Kerry on Monday urged Iran to come up with new nuclear proposals, rebuffing Tehran's position that the onus is now on foreign powers to unblock the impasse.

Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said Sunday that the previous foreign offer, made by the "P5+1" group at two meetings in Kazakhstan before the June election of moderate President Hassan Rouhani, was no longer valid.

But Kerry, while welcoming recent overtures including a historic contact between Rouhani and US President Barack Obama, said the ball remained in Iran's court.

"The group of six put a proposal on the table at Almaty and I don't believe as of yet Iran has fully responded to that particular proposal. So I think we are waiting the fullness of the Iranian difference in their approach now," he told reporters in Indonesia.

"So what we need are a set of proposals from Iran that will fully disclose how they will show the world that their programme is peaceful."

The proposals made in the Kazakh capital required Iran to suspend uranium enrichment at the 20 per cent level it says it needs for a medical research reactor, and to halt enrichment at its underground plant at Fordo near the central city of Qom.

EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton, who represents the six powers in the talks, said on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly in New York last month that she was still waiting for Iran's response to those previous proposals.

But Zarif said that Rouhani's election had changed the dynamic.

Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.