Militants launch Egypt attacks after deadly clashes

Militants launch Egypt attacks after deadly clashes
Tires burn as Egyptian Muslim brotherhood and supporters of ousted president Mohamed Morsi take part in clashes with riot police along Ramsis street in downtown Cairo, on October 6, 2013.

CAIRO - Militants in Egypt launched three attacks on Monday, a day after dozens were killed in clashes between security forces and supporters of ousted president Mohamed Morsi.

Two people were killed and around 50 injured when a car bomb exploded outside a security building in Egypt's Sinai peninsula, security and medical officials said.

Witnesses said the car had been parked outside the main gate of the security headquarters in Al-Tur, the capital of South Sinai.

In the Suez Canal city of Ismailiya, gunmen killed five Egyptian soldiers in an attack on an army patrol.

And in Cairo, unknown assailants fired rocket propelled grenades at communication satellite dishes in Cairo, damaging one, security officials said.

The officials said one of the rockets left a 25-centimetre (nine inch) breach in a satellite dish used for international phone calls.

The unrest comes a day after clashes between security forces and Morsi supporters which left at least 50 civilians dead.

Sunday's violence came as thousands of Egyptians took to the streets to celebrate the army that ousted Morsi in July, on the 40th anniversary of the 1973 Arab-Israeli war.

Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.