MADRID - A Spanish man and his four-month pregnant wife hid in a storeroom listening as Islamist gunmen massacred 21 people in a Tunisian museum, he said in an interview broadcast on Friday.
The couple were on their honeymoon in Tunisia after getting married earlier in March when they got caught up in the attack on tourists at the National Bardo Museum in Tunis, relatives said.
"As we came out of the museum, we saw that they were shooting at people around the entrance. One person was killed and we realised what was happening so we went to hide," Juan Carlos Sanchez said in a brief interview with Spanish national television.
"We hid in a storeroom and stayed there, listening to everything that was happening and waiting for it to be over," Sanchez said.
Tunisian officials said that a museum employee helped the couple to hide during Wednesday's attack and the three laid low all night before being found on Thursday.
Sanchez, from near Valencia in eastern Spain, appeared alongside his pregnant wife Cristina Rubio in images taken shortly after they were brought out of the museum on Thursday.
Hospital sources in Tunis said that Rubio had been examined by gynaecologists, and that she and Sanchez were in good health despite being in shock.
Another Spanish couple, Antoni Cirera and Dolors Sanchez from Barcelona, were killed in the attack, Spain's foreign minister Jose Manuel Garcia-Margallo said.
Spain was sending a military aeroplane to Tunisia to return the bodies of the two Spaniards to Barcelona later on Friday, officials said.