Seven foreigners, Tunisian killed in Tunis museum attack

Seven foreigners, Tunisian killed in Tunis museum attack

TUNIS - Seven foreigners and a Tunisian were killed Wednesday in an attack by two men armed with assault rifles on the Tunisian capital's famed Bardo Museum, the interior ministry said.

"A terrorist attack (targeted) the Bardo Museum," ministry spokesman Mohamed Ali Aroui told reporters, adding that the assault was carried out by "two or more terrorists armed with Kalashnikovs".

"There are eight victims" including "seven foreigners", Aroui said, adding that about 100 tourists had been inside the museum at the time of the attack.

"The majority of tourists were evacuated," he said.

He refused to confirm reports of a hostage taking inside the museum, but added: "There is information according to which there are still tourists" inside.

"Anti-terrorist units have entered the museum," he said, adding that the surrounding area had been cordoned off.

President Beji Caid Essebsi was to make a public statement to the nation, presidency spokesman Moez Sinaoui told AFP.

Prime Minister Habib Essid was also meeting with the interior and defence ministers.

More about

Tunisia
Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.