South Africa's Mandela leaves hospital

South Africa's Mandela leaves hospital
Members of the South African police stand guard near an ambulance that was escorting the ambulance which was believed to be carrying former South African President Nelson Mandela, outside his house in Houghton, Johannesburg September 1, 2013. Anti-apartheid leader Mandela returned to his Johannesburg home on Sunday where he will continue to receive intensive treatment and care after spending three months in hospital with a lung ailment. Mandela, 95, had spent 87 days in a Pretoria hospital after he was rushed there in early June suffering from a recurring infection in the lungs - a legacy from his time in jail under apartheid - that has dogged him for years.

JOHANNESBURG, Gauteng - South Africa's anti-apartheid icon Nelson Mandela was Sunday discharged from hospital where he has been treated since June 8 for a recurring respiratory illness, the presidency said.

Despite his release, questions remain about the health of the 95-year-old Nobel laureate who has been in and out of hospital for a year and who, the presidency said, remains in "critical" condition.

"Former President Nelson Mandela has this morning, 1 September 2013, been discharged from the Pretoria hospital where he has been receiving treatment," said a statement from the presidency.

It is said his condition "remains critical and is at times unstable."

An ambulance with police escort was seen arriving at his suburban home, north of Johannesburg, shortly after 0900 GMT.

Officials said Mandela will receive the same intensive care from his Johannesburg home.

"If there are health conditions that warrant another admission to hospital in future, this will be done," the presidency said.

President Jacob Zuma's office said the elderly statesman has been treated by "a large medical team from the military, academia, private sector and other public health spheres."

His release came after the presidency on Saturday denied reports that Mandela had been discharged from hospital.

"Madiba is still in hospital in Pretoria, and remains in a critical but stable condition," Zuma's spokesman said in a statement, denying reports from several news organisations that he had left the facility.

More about

South africa
Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.