Thai cave rescue: Elon Musk apologises for his comments on British diver

Thai cave rescue: Elon Musk apologises for his comments on British diver
PHOTO: Reuters

Tesla Inc founder Elon Musk apologised to British caver Vern Unsworth for comments he made about him following the rescue of a dozen Thai schoolboys and their football coach from a cave in northern Thailand.

"His actions against me do not justify my actions against him, and for that I apologise to Mr. Unsworth and to the companies I represent as leader," Musk said in a tweet. "The fault is mine and mine alone."

Unsworth, who played a leading role in the rescue, said on Tuesday that he has been approached by British and American lawyers and will seek legal advice after Musk directed abuse at him on Twitter.

"I am aware of his apology, and no further comment," Unsworth told Reuters by phone on Wednesday after Musk's latest tweets.

on Twitter

Asked if there would be a financial settlement over the matter or if he was still considering legal action, Unsworth said he would make no further comment.

Also asked how he had heard of the apology, he repeated he had no further comment.

Musk, chief executive of the electric car maker Tesla Inc, offered a mini-submarine created by his rocket company SpaceX to help extract the youth football team and the coach from the labyrinth of partly flooded passages.

However, the rescue team of elite divers and others rejected his proposal, and a war of words erupted when CNN quoted Unsworth as saying the submarine "had absolutely no chance of working" and was "just a PR stunt".

Musk responded on Twitter, saying: "We will make one (video) of the mini-sub/pod going all the way to Cave 5 no problem. Sorry pedo guy, you really did ask for it."

The Tweet was later deleted.

Musk said in his tweet on Wednesday that his words were "spoken in anger after Mr. Unsworth said several untruths & suggested I engage in a sexual act with the mini-sub, which had been built as an act of kindness & according to specifications from the dive team leader."

The boys, aged between 11 and 16, are expected to leave hospital in Chiang Rai on Wednesday and hold a news conference in the evening.

ALSO READ: Thai cave rescue: British diver says he has been approached by lawyers over Elon Musk's 'pedo' comment

ALSO READ: Elon Musk says he's in Thailand with mini-sub for cave rescue

Thai cave rescue: How each boy is extracted in complex process

Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDED CONTENT

SPONSORED CONTENT

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.