Tunisia sees US$515 million in tourism losses in 2015 after beach attack

Tunisia sees US$515 million in tourism losses in 2015 after beach attack
A member of Tunisia's special forces inspects the beachside of the Imperial Marhaba resort, while British, French, German and Tunisia's interior ministers arrive to pay their tribute in front of a makeshift memorial in Sousse, Tunisia, on June 29, 2015.
PHOTO: Reuters

TUNIS - Tunisia estimates at least $515 million in losses in 2015 for its tourism industry after last Friday's attack on a beach hotel that killed 39 people, mostly British holidaymakers, the tourism minister said.

"The attack had a great impact on the economy, the losses will be large," Tourism Minister Salma Loumi told reporters late on Monday giving a preliminary estimate.

The North African country earned $1.95 billion in revenues from tourism last year. The sector makes up seven per cent of its gross domestic product and is a major source of foreign currency and employment for Tunisia.

More about

Tunisia
Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.