US Navy shooting suspect honourably discharged from Reserve despite misconduct

US Navy shooting suspect honourably discharged from Reserve despite misconduct
Police walk in the Washington Navy Yard after a shooting on Sept 16, 2013. (inset) The suspect, 34-year-old Aaron Alexis of Fort Worth, Texas.

WASHINGTON - The Texas man suspected of killing 12 people in a shooting rampage at the Washington Navy Yard received an honourable discharge from the Navy Reserve in 2011, even though he exhibited a pattern of misconduct during his career, a Navy official said on Tuesday.

Initial reports indicated that the man, Aaron Alexis, a 34-year-old Navy contractor, had received a general discharge from the reserve, a category that suggests misconduct. But the Navy official said Alexis had applied for and received an honourable discharge under the early enlisted transition programme.

A military official said before discharging him honourably, the military had been pursuing a general discharge against Alexis on a series of eight to 10 misconduct charges, ranging from traffic offences to disorderly conduct.

Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.