KANO, Nigeria - World powers, including the United States and China, have joined in the search for the more than 200 schoolgirls abducted by Boko Haram Islamists who have also killed hundreds in the country's northeast this week.
Amid global outrage over the kidnapping of the teenagers, the United States, Britain and France are sending specialist teams to Nigeria.
China promised to supply "any useful information acquired by its satellites and intelligence services" to Nigeria.
The police on Wednesday offered $300,000 (S$374,000) for information leading to the rescue of the girls.
The latest insurgent attack targeted the town of Gamboru Ngala on the border with Cameroon, where gunmen this week razed scores of buildings and fired on civilians as they tried to flee.
Area Senator Ahmed Zanna put the death toll at 300, citing information provided by locals, in an account supported by numerous residents.
Zanna said the town had been left unguarded because soldiers based there had been redeployed north towards Lake Chad in an effort to rescue the kidnapped girls.
Nigeria's response to the kidnappings has been widely criticised, including by activists and parents of the hostages who say the military's search operation has been inept so far.
President Goodluck Jonathan's administration has sought to appear more engaged with the plight of the hostages in recent days, especially after Boko Haram chief Abubakar Shekau released a video threatening to sell the girls as "slaves".
In a second kidnapping, 11 more girls aged 12 to 15 were seized Sunday from Gwoza, an area not far from Chibok and also in Boko Haram's Borno base.
The group's five-year uprising has killed thousands across Africa's most populous country and top economy, with many questioning whether Nigeria has the capacity to contain the violence.
Charred bodies, throats cut
Islamist fighters riding in armoured trucks and on motorcycles stormed Gamboru Ngala after midday on Monday.
The extremists overran the town, making it too dangerous for locals to immediately return, survivors said.
When the militants left, residents discovered their town "littered" with dead bodies, Musa Abba, a witness, told AFP.
"All economic and business centres have been burnt. The market in the town which attracts traders from all over the area... has been completely burnt," the senator said.
Gamboru Ngala has been attacked repeatedly in the past but Abba said "this (was) the worst Boko Haram attack (the town) has seen".
The Cameroonian military has reinforced security in the town of Fotokol on the Nigerian border, a medical official told AFP by phone, requesting anonymity.
"The toll is very heavy. We believe there are more than 200 dead," the source said, adding that 2,000 Nigerians, including soldiers had fled to Cameroon.
"Some of the bodies were charred. It was horrific. People had their throats slit, others were shot," the source added.
In a fresh attack, suspected Boko Haram militants Wednesday killed seven people in Buji-Buji, also in Borno state, the village head, Mohammed Garba told journalists.
"Gunmen numbering about 20 invaded our village around 3:00 am (0200 GMT) while most people were sleeping... The gunmen opened fire on people as they attempted to escape from the ravaging fire.
"Seven persons died on the spot, while so many others were injured," he said.