>> ASIAONE / NEWS / LATEST NEWS / ASIA / STORY
Japanese boy comatose after swallowing sand
Tue, Nov 11, 2008
Yomiuri Shimbun

 

UTSUNOMIYA (Japan) --A 13-year-old boy fell into a coma Saturday evening after choking on sand he swallowed while playing in a sandpit at a local school in Oyamachi, Tochigi Prefecture, police said.

The second-year student of the municipally run Shiroyama Chuo Middle School, together with five other members of the school's archery club, dug a 70-centimeter-deep hole in the sandpit in the yard of municipally run Shiroyama Chuo Primary School at around 5 p.m. Four of them sat side by side in the hole and buried themselves up to their necks.

The boy collapsed immediately after he got out of the sandpit at about 5:35 p.m., with sand lodged in his windpipe. A passerby called the police, and the boy was taken to a hospital, the police said.

 

 
STORY INDEX
 
  Thai transvestite beauty pageant cancelled amid political turmoil
   
 
  Blogger's remand extended
   
 
  More S'pore-Japan flights
   
 
  Transvestite teacher to be transferred
   
 
  China used planes, rockets to prevent wet end of Games
   
 
  Australian plan to create 'homophobia free-zones' attacked
   
 
  Philippines leader gets oil firms to cut diesel prices
   
 
  Japanese boy comatose after swallowing sand
   
 
  Thaksin joins UK's dubious list
   
 
  Thaksin threatens to name all his enemies