Cyclist, 13, wearing earphones hit by car

Whwn he saw a teenager riding past him on a bicycle with earphones in both ears, bus driver Lin Ther Huat was surprised.

So dangerous, he thought.

What happened next confirmed he was right.

As Mr Lin approached a pedestrian crossing with the traffic lights on green, the young cyclist decided to cross to the other side of the two-lane road and swerved straight into the outer lane.

A black Toyota travelling on that lane had just started to move forward, and hit the boy, said Mr Lin.

The impact sent the teen flying in the air. He landed on the road at least 3m ahead.

He rolled three times before coming to a stop and his bike was wrecked.

"I was so stunned! The first thing I thought was, 'How could this kind of accident happen in front of me?'," Mr Lin, 46, told The New Paper.

The accident happened on Jurong East Avenue around 3.45pm on Wednesday.

Mr Lin said he was driving his empty mini bus to Hwa Chong Institution at Bukit Timah Road to pick up some students when the crash happened.

According to him, the impact knocked the cyclist out cold, and left him unconscious on the road.

The entire accident was captured on the in-car camera installed in Mr Lin's bus.

A police spokesman told The New Paper they received a callaround 3.50pm about a traffic accident on Jurong East Avenue involving a car and a cyclist.

The cyclist was taken to the National University Hospital (NUH).

Said Mr Lin: "The young boy looked like he was in Secondary One or Two. He was not wearing a helmet."

A spokesman for the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) confirmed that the cyclist is a 13-year-old boy.

According to Mr Lin, traffic on the road at that time was not very busy.

Video of accident

The video footage showed the driver of the Toyota stopping her car suddenly after the accident, before moving the car to the side of the road and stopping.

The police said the driver is a 34-year-old woman, who is currently assisting in investigations.

After the accident, Mr Lin said he got off his bus, to check on the fallen cyclist.

By then, a group of some eight passersby, including other teens, had rushed to him.

"The boy was unconscious, but he was not bleeding, just a few scratches on his arms and legs," said Mr Lin, who added he spotted the cyclist's earphones some distance away on the road.

Afraid the teen might have suffered internal injuries, the bus driver instructed the onlookers not to move him.

"He just lay there on the road, unconscious, and woke up only after 10 to 15 minutes.

"The moment he did so, he started shouting 'Mummy! Mummy!' and kept wanting to sit up," said Mr Lin.

Afraid he might aggravate his injuries doing so, the bus driver told a nearby woman to hold the teen down.

"I also told the boy to stop moving until the ambulance arrived," he added.

"We are not doctors, we do not know whether he is okay or not," he explained.

Mr Lin said the driver of the black Toyota was carrying a young child when she came out of her car after the accident.

"She was very stunned and looked very concerned. She told me she's never been in an accident before and that she doesn't know what to do," he added.

Mr Lin said he assured the woman that he had a video recording of the accident. He also volunteered to be a witness if there was a need for one.

An SCDF spokesman said the cyclist suffered a bump on the left eyebrow, bruises to both elbows and bruises and swelling on his right knee.

He also complained of pain in the back of his head. The boy was hospitalised.

"The moment he (woke up), he started shouting 'Mummy! Mummy!' and kept wanting to sit up."

- Bus driver Lin Ther Huat describing the reaction of the boy who woke up after lying unconscious on the road for 10 to 15 minutes

Cyclist hit by car after cutting into lane
Click on thumbnail to view. Story continues after photos.
(Photos: Shin Min)

Get The New Paper for more stories.

Become a fan on Facebook