>> ASIAONE / NEWS / THE NEW PAPER / STORY
BECKHAM TRANSFER IS OFF: GALAXY
Mon, Feb 16, 2009
The New Paper

DAVID Beckham is set to return to Los Angeles Galaxy next month after head coach Bruce Arena revealed that AC Milan failed to produce an 'acceptable offer' before Friday night's deadline.

Major League Soccer commissioner Don Garber had warned the Italian club, where Beckham is on a short-term loan, it had to agree a deal by the deadline if it wanted to sign the England midfielder permanently.

But Arena, coach and general manager of the Galaxy, issued a statement saying no transfer materialised and Beckham, 33, will return when the loan expires.

'Today's deadline imposed by Major League Soccer commissioner Don Garber regarding a resolution of David Beckham's potential transfer to AC Milan has passed and we did not receive an acceptable offer for the player.

'As a result, David remains an LA Galaxy player and we look forward to having him back with the club starting 9 Mar.'

Move

In reality a move could still go through despite the deadline imposed by the Americans.

Garber set the time limit as both the Galaxy, opposing teams and league officials step up preparations for the new season - with Beckham's presence significantly affecting ticketing and team affairs.

Garber, who would have to approve any deal, said in the week: 'There is no reason why this should drag on.

'They either want to do it or don't want to do it. This Friday we need to know if they want to buy David Beckham or not.

'What they need to realise is that we are getting very close to the start of our season,' he said.

'We have to figure out what plans we need to make and if David Beckham is going to be a part of those plans.'

Milan are still keen to sign Beckham and the player wants to remain in Serie A, so a deal could well be reached in the next few days.

However, the chief executive of Galaxy owners AEG, Tim Leiweke, told the Los Angeles Times that Milan did not meet Friday's deadline and that no late offer would be considered.

'He will be back here on 9 Mar, and we don't want to entertain any more conversations now,' Leiweke said.

'It is a distraction to (Galaxy coach) Bruce Arena, the team and the fans, and we move on. That's the last we're going to talk about this.'

Offer

Asked what would happen should the Italian giants return with an improved offer now the deadline had passed, Leiweke was clear.

'They'll come back (with another offer), sure they will. But we owe it to our fans (not to consider it),' he said.

'They've been reading all these stories, and we lose credibility by the day. That's not fair. We owe it to Bruce and we owe it to the rest of the team. We're a month away from our season.'

Last week, the Galaxy rejected Milan's first bid for Beckham, saying the England midfielder would return to Los Angeles as scheduled unless the Italians came up with a higher offer.

Milan coach Carlo Ancelotti had urged the Rossoneri to go the extra mile in order to keep Beckham at the San Siro after the Englishman earned a regular spot in the starting XI since his arrival last month, and has set up goals and scored for the Rossoneri.

However, Leiweke insists Milan's offers have never come close to meeting AEG's and the league's asking price of more than ??pounds;10 million ($21.7m).

'They've never been in the ballpark,' he said. 'What they've tried to do is use David and use us. We're not going to play that game any more. This has been extremely damaging and distracting for our team.

'I've been as courteous and as gracious as I possibly can out of respect for David, but now it's time to move on. We need to get David excited about the team we're building here and coming back.'

- PA Sport.


Transfer collapse will be addressed next week

DAVID Beckham and his advisers will consider their position next week after Los Angeles Galaxy said his permanent move to AC Milan had collapsed, his spokesman said yesterday.

Beckham, on loan to Milan until 9 Mar, has said he wants to stay at the Serie A club full-time but Major League Soccer imposed a Friday deadline which passed without agreement.

Galaxy now expect him to return next month.

'David is focused on the Milan derby this Sunday. We will be addressing this early next week,' Beckham's spokesman, Simon Oliveira, told Reuters.

Italian media speculated that a deal could still be reached by the parties irrespective of the arbitrary deadline set down by the MLS during the week.

Beckham has the option of buying out his contract and has a clause which means he can leave Galaxy for nothing in October.

Milan had no comment but coach Carlo Ancelotti was due to hold a news conference yesterday ahead of today's game with Inter-Milan.

- Reuters.

 

 
STORY INDEX
 
  She buys four pots & pans for $3,000
   
 
  Novena exorcism case helped by detectives shadowing plaintiff
   
 
  SHE WEARS A FIFA REF'S BADGE
   
 
  Roman, time to buy yourself a fish tank
   
 
  BECKHAM TRANSFER IS OFF: GALAXY
   
 
  We will explode against Inter
   
 
  WINNING IS WHAT MATTERS TO VIDIC
   
 
  Recession or no, MRT demand will rise
   
 
  Push for more mediation in neighbourhood disputes
   
 
  Wake up I'm waiting to marry you