Arrest warrants have been issued for 66 persons allegedly involved in the October 10 riot at Phuket's Thalang Police Station, deputy national police chief Pol General Chalermkiat Srivorakhan said yesterday, adding that probes into the protest that resulted in violence and into the deaths of two youngsters, which triggered the riot, were ongoing.
The warrants related to alleged violation of the Public Assembly Act and the Land Traffic Act, as well as the Criminal Code's arson charge.
The names of wanted persons will be released to the media later, he said, urging those who were wanted to surrender to police.
This month, hundreds of locals went on a rampage at Thalang Police Station over the death of two young drug suspects, who died in an accident that occurred during a police chase.
The rioters hurled rocks, set fire to cars and blocked roads. Many vehicles and the police-station building were damaged.
Chalermkiat also confirmed that the four policemen involved in the arrest of the two deceased suspects, who had been transferred to the 8th Regional Bureau pending results of the fact-finding probe by a panel led by the Phuket governor, were still working at the bureau. The probe by the governor's panel is expected to be completed in 30 days.