HK security secretary lashes out at opposition for attacks on police

A pro-democracy protester is detained by police during a confrontation at Mong Kok shopping district in Hong Kong.

HONG KONG - Hong Kong Secretary for Security Lai Tung-kwok on Thursday blasted opposition lawmakers for smearing the image of police. They have done this with accusations police used excessive force when enforcing court injunctions against Mong Kok protesters.

Rounding up a two-day debate on an adjournment motion tabled in the Legislative Council (LegCo), Lai said such accusations were "absurd and unfounded".

Pro-establishment lawmakers also accused the opposition of double standards in their comments on police handling of illegal protests.

The adjournment motion debate, held on Wednesday and Thursday, discussed police involvement in executing two High Court injunctions against protesters in Mong Kok.

Steven Ho Chun-yin of the Democratic Alliance for the Betterment and Progress of Hong Kong (DAB) said the motion moved by the opposition camp was "ridiculous". This was because the opposition camp was greatly involved in the occupation.

"It is absurd that law breakers accused the law enforcers," said Ho. He added that vilifying police was simply a tactic to divert attention from what the opposition camp had done.

Legislator Lo Wai-kwok from Business and Professionals Alliance for Hong Kong denounced the hypocrisy of the opposition camp. He said they were refusing to acknowledge the protesters' blatant violation of the law while accusing police of abusing their powers.

Lo said the opposition camp's advocacy of unlawful behaviour had set a bad example. It had encouraged the illegal "Occupy" movement.

In concluding remarks, Lai stressed that police had adopted a "restrained and tolerant" attitude toward protesters.

"The protesters purposely charged at police officers to create tension. After several warnings had been ignored, police had no choice but to take action under the circumstance," said Lai.

He stressed that around 130 officers had been injured during the past two months of the "Occupy" movement.