Indonesia vows ‘all-out effort’ in search for AirAsia victims

PANGKALAN BUN, Indonesia - Indonesian rescuers promised an "all-out effort" to search for bodies from AirAsia Flight QZ8501 as the weather cleared Thursday and international investigators joined attempts to locate the fuselage of the ill-fated plane.

Seven bodies have so far been retrieved from the Airbus A320-200 carrying 162 people, which crashed Sunday in the sea near Borneo island en route from Indonesia's second city Surabaya to Singapore.

Rough weather Wednesday had hampered efforts to locate and retrieve more bodies but conditions had since improved.

"The weather is clear today. We're making an all-out effort to search for bodies and locate the fuselage," search and rescue official Sunarbowo Sandi told AFP from Pangkalan Bun, a town on Borneo with the nearest airstrip to the crash site.

He said foreign experts would join Indonesian transport safety investigators in the search to locate the wreckage and retrieve the black boxes, which are key to determining the cause of the crash.

"Ten investigators from the national transport safety committee (KNKT) along with two French and two Singapore investigators will join the search today to locate the fuselage," he said.

"We hope that an underwater beacon will be able to detect the weak signal transmitted by the ELT (emergency locator transmitter)," he added.

The transmitter sends a signal that helps rescuers to find a plane in the event of an accident.

Four bodies have so far been transferred to land from warships with three more set to be moved Thursday.

"Three helicopters are getting ready to hoist three remaining bodies from the navy ship to Pangkalan Bun," he said, adding that rescuers managed to bring two bodies to the town late Wednesday.

Two other bodies have already been transferred to Surabaya where there are examination and identification facilities for 150 bodies.

Police have taken DNA samples and medical data from dozens of relatives of the victims to aid in identification of the bodies.

Before take-off the pilot had asked for permission to fly at a higher altitude to avoid a storm, but his request was not approved due to other planes above him on the popular route, according to AirNav, Indonesia's air traffic control.

In his last communication, the pilot said he wanted to change course to avoid the menacing storm system. Then all contact was lost, about 40 minutes after the plane had taken off.