Killing of two suspects in 'encounter' sparks protest

KARACHI - Two suspects were shot dead in Kalakot in the early hours of Friday in what law enforcers described as an encounter, sparking protests by area people who termed the killing 'custodial' death.

A Kalakot police official said that the suspected gangsters had lobbed a hand grenade near the residence of the late Rehman 'Dakait' on Shahanshahi Road that left nine people including three children and a woman wounded on Thursday night.

As the Rangers and the police chased the suspects, the latter opened fire on the law enforcers and an exchange of fire ensued.

The shootout at three different places near Juman Shah Plot left the two suspects dead at around 2.30am, the official said, adding that the deceased were later identified as Hanif and Wasim.

"The deceased were alleged criminals and members of Noor Mohammed alias Baba Ladla gang," said City SSP Sheeraz Nazeer.

However, a leader of Kutchhi Rabita Committee, Daud Kutchhi, said: "They had been in the custody of the law enforcers for the past two weeks and the killing was extrajudicial."

He said they were they were members of the Kutchhi Muslim Mandhra Jamaat.

They were not 'gangsters' but contractors of the Karachi Port Trust, the KRC leader added.

Kutchhi community members and relatives of Wasim and Hanif while carrying their coffins staged a protest demonstration on Mauripur Road.

The KRC leader said that their only demand was that the law enforcers differentiate between gangsters and innocent citizens.

Another body found in Maymar

A young man was found shot dead in Gulshan-i-Maymar on Friday afternoon, police said.

They added that the man in his mid-30s was found dead in a deserted place near Yaqub Goth off the Northern Bypass.

There were torture marks on his head and face, said Gulshan-i-Maymar SHO Zakirullah and added that the deceased, from his appearance, looked to be Baloch.

The body was taken to the Abbasi Shaheed Hospital for medico-legal formalities, where his identity could not be ascertained immediately.

This was the third body found in the same area in recent days.

A few days ago, a 'missing' activist of the Jeay Sindh Qaumi Mahaz, Waheed Lashari, was found shot dead here.

Later, another body of a young man with torture marks was found in the same area, whose identity remained unclear.

The police officer said that his fingerprints had been taken and sent to the National Database and Registration Authority for identification.