BANGKOK - A 44-year-old man has died from hypothermia after going to bed with three fans blowing cool air at him.
The man turned on the fans before going to sleep on Thursday night but the sudden early-morning temperature drop turned into a fatal tragedy in Chaiyaphum's Muang district.
Following the discovery of Sobthawee Boonkua's body at his relative's house in Tambon Nai Muang, Pol Lt Colonel Thanasit Apiboonworaset of Muang Chaiyaphum police went to inspect the scene at 8.30am along with a medical examiner and emergency workers.
His elder brother Saravuth Boonkua said Sobthawee had gone to stay at the house to take care of their ailing 86-year-old mother Udom Boonkua.
He said Sobthawee, a healthy man, has gone to bed with three fans directing cool air at him without realizing that Chaiyaphum's temperature can be much lower at night.
A medical examiner said Sobthawee had died from hypothermia because his body couldn't adjust to the sudden cold and had gone into shock.
The family accepted his cause of death and said they would collect his body for religious rites later.