MH370: Families of Chinese passengers hand over statement to embassy in Beijing

Family members of passengers onboard the Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 hold papers as they protest outside Lido Hotel in Beijing, March 25, 2014.

BEIJING - Almost two hours after they arrived at the Malaysian embassy here, the families of the Chinese passengers who were on MH370 handed a statement to an embassy officer.

Second secretary Al-Fadil Adam received the statement on behalf of Malaysian ambassador to China Datuk Iskandar Sarudin.

Holding placards and chanting slogans like "give me back my family members", close to 200 family members had earlier marched towards the embassy located at Liangmaqiao North Street here around noon on Tuesday.

Policemen, military police and security guards, who have cordoned off the street, let the family members passed through.

Pressmen, however, were not allowed to follow. They were restricted to an area cordoned off by barricade tape at the junction of Tianze Road and Liangmaqiao North Street.

This had prompted the family members to try to "free" the pressmen from the authority later. The situation turned chaotic amid shouts of "media freedom" but it subsided soon, with family members returning to station themselves in front of the embassy.

The heavy police and media presence has attracted curious bystanders.

After the families handed over the statement to embassy at about 1.45pm, they were ferried off in two buses.

MH370 went missing March 8 enroute from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing. There were 153 Chinese passengers on board the flight.

Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak announced late Monday that MH370 was lost in the southern Indian Ocean and all on board feared dead.

The family members, represented by a committee, issued a strongly-worded statement following Najib's announcement. They reiterated their belief that Malaysian government is hiding the truth.

According to the family committee's official Weibo account, they decided to protest in front of the embassy when no representatives showed up for the daily 10am meeting with families at Metropark Lido Hotel.