ISLAMABAD - Pakistan on Tuesday denied Indian accusations that its troops killed five Indian soldiers in Kashmir, insisting it remains committed to a 10-year truce and calling for peace talks.
"No Pakistani troops either crossed into India nor carried out any unprovoked firing. The Indian allegations are totally baseless," a military spokesman told AFP.
The foreign ministry in Islamabad also rejected the allegations as "baseless and unfounded".
"Our military authorities have confirmed that there had been no exchange of fire that could have resulted in such an incident," it said in a statement.
It said Pakistan was committed to the 2003 ceasefire agreement in the divided Himalayan region and called for the strengthening of existing channels to stop "such ill-founded reports" in the future.
"Pakistan is committed to a constructive, sustained and result-oriented process of engagement with India and looks forward to an early resumption of the dialogue process," it said.
"It is important that both sides make serious efforts in maintaining the positive atmosphere and avoid negative propaganda."