BEIJING - The death toll has risen to 37 after the worst flooding for decades in northeast China, state media said Sunday.
Liaoning province reported 12 flood-related deaths, with 32 others missing in Fushun city after downpours on Friday and Saturday, Xinhua news agency said.
Floods also hit a residential compound in Jilin province on Friday, leaving 14 dead, while Heilongjiang province reported 11 deaths.
More than 2,500 homes have been destroyed and at least 12,500 others severely damaged, while losses have been put at 7.13 billion yuan ($1.15 billion), the agency said.
Some 140,000 people had been forced to leave their homes.
Southern China, meanwhile, is recovering from the passage of Typhoon Utor last week which killed 10 people.