Woman arrested for allegedly killing, dismembering lover

TAIPEI, Taiwan - The Taichung District Prosecutors Office (TDPO) yesterday said it arrested a female Chinese national surnamed Huang for allegedly murdering and dismembering her boyfriend.

The 36-year-old victim, Lan Kun-yu (藍坤俞), lived with the 46-year-old suspect in an apartment in Fengyuan District (豐原) of Taichung City. Lan is the owner of a lathe factory in the city, the prosecutors said.

The victim was last seen in an elevator of the apartment building at around 3 a.m. on April 27, and was later reported missing by his family, the TDPO said. The suspect previously claimed that the victim left the apartment after having an argument with her, prosecutors said.

According to surveillance footage, after Lan returned to the apartment, Huang took the elevator four times to carry 11 bags of unknown items from the apartment, the TDPO said, adding that Huang's left hand appeared to be injured.

The TDPO on Wednesday morning went to the apartment again to collect evidence. Huang later confessed to killing the victim and abandoned his body in Shihgang District (石岡) of Taichung City, the TDPO said.

The prosecutors said the victim's remains were found in the district indicated by Huang, and the murder weapons were discovered in a motel room in Fengyuan District. The TDPO said Huang claimed that the car used to carry the victim was dumped in Nantou County (南投).

Huang previously told Apple Daily that she loves Lan very much and she feels sad that Lan is missing.

Motive Involves Money: Police

Taichung Police said Huang claimed that two years ago, Lan invited her to invest over NT$1 million (S$41,500) in his factory and promised that he would share the profits with her, however, Lan failed to keep his promise even though the factory was turning a profit.

Police said Huang bought a large kitchen knife and sleeping pills before the incident, adding that on the night of April 27, Huang allegedly dropped 10 sleeping pills into a glass of black tea she made for Lan.

Huang allegedly decapitated Lan while he was asleep, police said, adding that the suspect allegedly dragged the victim to the bathroom and dismembered the victim, cutting him into six pieces.

Police went on to say that Huang allegedly burned the victim's remains and buried them in Shihgang District, and later drove to Nantou to abandon her vehicle. Huang later went to a motel in Fengyuan to take a rest and allegedly left the knives in the room.

The TDPO said Huang's mode of operating suggests that she is a professional, though she did accidentally cut the fingers on her left hand.

Police said they will further investigate Huang's statement as they have not rule out the possibility that she might have accomplices in this case.