Carrier Celebrates the 115th Anniversary of Modern Air Conditioning
SYDNEY, Oct. 16, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- What do summer blockbuster movies, boxed chocolates and skyscrapers have in common? It wasn't until modern air conditioning came to movie theaters, candy confectioners and high-rise office buildings that these industries flourished with the addition of cool, temperature-controlled air. Now, 115 years later, Carrier marks the anniversary of modern air conditioning by highlighting recent innovative advancements and milestones that make our technology relevant today and quite simply, cooler than ever. Carrier Australia Pty Ltd is a part of Carrier, a world leader in high-technology heating, air-conditioning and refrigeration solutions, and part of UTC Climate, Controls & Security, a unit of United Technologies Corp. (NYSE: UTX).
"Carrier continues to develop new solutions and push the boundaries of smart technology. Beyond keeping people cool and comfortable, Carrier solutions are among the most energy-efficient available today," said John Sherry, managing director, Carrier Australia. "Through persistence, world-class engineering and a relentless commitment to innovation, Carrier is cooler than ever - and excited to deliver leading solutions to keep people in Australia comfortable well into the future."
Here are eight reasons to celebrate Carrier and our game-changing air conditioning technology.
8. Carrier has been active in Australia since 1932 with landmark installations including Sydney's famous Art Deco-style City Mutual Building. 80 years ago, Carrier installed the first air-conditioning and ventilation equipment to service the building.
7. Sustainable products. Globally, since 2000, Carrier products have avoided more than 225 million metric tons of carbon dioxide through advancements in energy efficiency, the equivalent of removing more than 47 million passenger vehicles from the road for one year. How cool is that?
6. Our founder, Willis Carrier. The spirit of Willis Carrier, the inventor of modern air conditioning, is kept alive and well on williscarrier.com and on Twitter. Follow along with Willis as he shares the history and memorabilia surrounding the evolution of modern air conditioning.
5. Sustainability stewardship. In Australia, Carrier recently launched the next generation AquaForce™ screw chiller and innovative AquaEdge™ 19DV centrifugal chiller with a low global warming potential (GWP) refrigerant. These products demonstrate Carrier's ongoing commitment to sustainability leadership through the development of energy-efficient, reliable and environmentally-responsible solutions, which also lead the industry in supporting the recently passed HFC (hydrofluorocarbons) phasedown law.
4. The UTC Center for Intelligent Buildings. Carrier, and its industry-leading products, will be featured in the UTC Center for Intelligent Buildings, a first of its kind global customer experience center set to open later this year in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
3. Fostering a global dialogue. We believe that global dialogue can rebalance the built environment with the natural environment. We also believe that green building, which includes our high-efficiency air conditioning products, will accelerate with education. That's why Carrier convenes the Distinguished Sustainability Lecture Series, in hopes that the discussions of today will help drive technological advancements and shape the decisions made for years to come. To date, the lecture series has reached over 3,850 professionals through 31 lectures in 19 cities across 15 countries. Events will be held later this year in Indonesia and India.
2. Carrier keeps food fresh and cool. Modern air conditioning paved the way for Carrier's refrigeration technology for the transport and shipping of temperature controlled cargoes. Carrier understands that "fresh" is not simply about how recently produce was harvested or products were created. It is also about the conditions in which they have been transported. That is why Carrier provides transport refrigeration solutions that allow for precise control of temperature and humidity, preserving all types of perishable cargo no matter where it needs to go.
1. Carrier is constantly innovating. In fact, the air conditioning technology of the future is being developed right now. In 2016, United Technologies spent $3.7B on company and customer-funded research and development, supporting a variety of innovative new aerospace and building systems products including Carrier heating, cooling and refrigeration systems. That's a lot of "cool," hard cash.
Learn more about Carrier's legacy of innovation, as well as the complete history of modern air conditioning, in the book Weathermakers to the World and on WillisCarrier.com. Follow @WillisCarrier on Twitter for more historic facts. Follow along on social media using the hashtag #carriercool.
For more information about Carrier Australia, visit http://www.carrier.com/building-solutions/en/au/.
Founded by the inventor of modern air conditioning, Carrier is a world leader in high-technology heating, air-conditioning and refrigeration solutions. Carrier experts provide sustainable solutions, integrating energy-efficient products, building controls and energy services for residential, commercial, retail, transport and food service customers. Carrier is a part of UTC Climate, Controls & Security, a unit of United Technologies Corp., a leading provider to the aerospace and building systems industries worldwide. For more information, visit www.carrier.com or follow @Carrier on Twitter.
Hor Mei Peng