SYDNEY, Sept. 3, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- Iconic music sensation ABBA officially motivated their fans into a frenzy earlier this morning. After a 38-year hiatus, the band launched their new album, Voyage leading with singles "I Still Have Faith In You" and "Don't Shut Me Down" via a series of spectacular global moments featuring Sydney, in keeping with their unprecedented popularity and legendary status.
Striking avatars of Agnetha, Björn, Benny, and Anni-Frid illuminated the Pylons of the iconic Sydney Harbour Bridge accompanied by a dazzling light display across the Bridge arch.
Sydney joined eight other cities around the world – Tokyo, London, New York, Stockholm, Rio, Reykjavik, Berlin, Cape Town – in celebrating the much-anticipated album with vision of the Sydney Harbour Bridge featured in a livestream on ABBA's official YouTube Channel.
Destination NSW CEO Steve Cox described the Sydney Harbour Bridge tribute as fitting recognition of ABBA as one of the world's most enduring bands.
"Sydney is proud to join eight other great cities around the world, to celebrate this significant milestone for one of the world's greatest bands, ABBA. We know that the vibrant imagery of ABBA illuminated onto the Sydney Harbour Bridge will bring hope and inspiration to all, inspiring our international friends to start planning their trip to Sydney for when international borders re-open."
For more than four-decades, Sydney has held a special place in ABBA's hearts since they visited in 1977 on their first and only tour of Australia.
"We couldn't be more thrilled for Sydney to be part of our global album launch. Sydney has always been a special city to us and we have wonderful memories of the time we spent performing in Australia, said ABBA.
Adam Ireland, General Manager, BRING said; "When we heard of the imminent release of ABBA Voyage and unwrapped stories of the band's history with Sydney, we knew there was no better fit than DNSW, and no better place than our wonderous harbourside. Streaming data backed up our vision, showing that Sydney has the fourth highest volume of streams for ABBA, exceeding global benchmarks."
Significant locations included in ABBA's visit to Sydney in 1977, during their first and only tour of Australia, included:
- Opening the tour with a performance at the former Sydney Showground, Moore Park on 3 March 1977 to an audience of 20,000 people. All four members of the band recall this concert as the most memorable of their career. Sydney Showground is now located at Sydney Olympic Park and hosts hundreds of world-class events each year.
- A visit to Narrabeen on Sydney's Northern Beaches to the home of Nine Network owner at the time, Reg Grundy. While in Narrabeen, ABBA would have enjoyed the internationally renowned surf break, swimming in the ocean pool, bush-walking, kayaking and SUP at Narrabeen Lagoon.
- Accommodation at the luxurious Hilton Sydney on George Street, which today features GLASS Restaurant by celebrity chef Luke Mangn, the roof-top Zeta Bar and the perfect inner-city location to explore the nearby Queen Victoria Building, Sydney Tower, Sea Life Sydney Aquarium and Darling Harbour.
- Said hello to koalas, kangaroos at Taronga Zoo overlooking Sydney Harbour.
- Enjoyed a cruise on the picturesque Hawkesbury River, a 2.5 hour drive from Sydney. Visitors to the Hawkesbury enjoy landing on the river in a Sydney Seaplane for lunch at Cottage Point Inn or Berowra Waters Inn, wander the Windsor Heritage Walk, sample local produce on the Harvest Farm Gate Trail and horse riding at the Hawkesbury Valley Equestrian Centre.
To follow in ABBA's footsteps and plan a trip to Sydney, go to www.sydney.com.
Share your favourite holidays in Sydney and NSW on social media using @sydney #ilovesydney @visitnsw #lovensw.
Please stay up to date on the latest NSW Government health advice regarding COVID-19 and travel within NSW, here.
Note to editors
Media Assets: Visit the Destination NSW Media Centre to download editorial content, video and image assets of the ABBA Voyage activity in Sydney: https://media.destinationnsw.com.au/abba-illuminates-sydney-harbour-bridge
About Destination NSW
Destination NSW is the lead NSW Government agency for the State's tourism and major events industry and is responsible for devising and implementing strategies to grow the State's visitor economy. Our particular focus is driving tourism and acquiring and developing major sporting and cultural events for Sydney and regional NSW. In addition, Destination NSW is the major investor in Business Events Sydney with the aim of securing more international conventions, incentive travel reward programs, corporate events and exhibitions.
BRING. The Catalysts of Culture.
BRING are a creative agency, part of the world's leading music-based entertainment company, Universal Music Group, unmatched in developing and marketing the planet's most influential artists. BRING offers brands unique ways to connect to fans through Universal Music's world-class talent, tools & capabilities. They create Cultural Capital for Australian brands, turning fan love into brand love. Harnessing unparalleled streaming data, they create bold, strategic and relevant work for some of Australia's biggest brands, including American Express, KFC, Klarna, Powerball, Oppo, Adobe & more. Bring have previously won multiple global and local awards for their work on Wrigley's and Air New Zealand, among others.
Find out more at: www.bring.com.au