HONG KONG, CHINA - Media OutReach - 14 June 2017 - The Quality Building Award 2018 (QBA 2018) is now officially open for nomination. QBA is a biennially-held award giving public recognition to buildings embodying excellence across a range of categories.
QBA 2018 features three main changes compared to the previous years with the goals of increasing industry representation, and encouraging further stakeholder engagement. They are:A newly-introduced "Non-Residential Building -- Government, Institution or Community" category. An increase in the number of jurors (from 9 to 14). A single combined "Building Outside Hong Kong" category (previously separated into two).
Sr LAI Yuk Fai, Stephen , Chairman of the QBA 2018 Organizing Committee , said: "I am deeply honored to be selected to lead the QBA 2018 award process. Over the years, QBA has become one of the most recognized industry awards thanks to widespread industry participation and engagement. This year's theme, 'Driven by Profession, United for Success', aims to reinforce QBA's vision: to unite professionals from all backgrounds and disciplines in the pursuit of true building excellence."
Regarding the changes from previous years, Sr LAI added: "As the industry continues to evolve, so does the need for more perspectives to be represented. As such, the QBA 2018 Organizing Committee has decided to further expand the number of jurors from 9 to 14. Furthermore, the Non-Residential Building category has been separated into commercial and non-commercial. We believe these changes will continue QBA's tradition of rewarding excellence, while also paving the way for greater industry involvement and representation in the years to come."
Key FactsQBA was co-founded in 2001 by nine of Hong Kong's leading property sector institutions, and has been jointly organized on a biennial basis since. QBA 2018 is the ninth iteration since inception. The leading organizer is changed for each iteration of the award to ensure fairness. QBA 2018 will be chaired by The Hong Kong Institute of Surveyors, with support from eight other co-organizing institutions. Nominations will open on 13 June 2017, and close on 3 November 2017 (12nn). The adjudication process will follow. Information on submission details are listed at www.QBA.com.hk . Results will be revealed on 15 June 2018 at the QBA 2018 Award Presentation Banquet. The venue will be the Grand Ballroom of the Grand Hyatt Hong Kong at 1 Harbour Road, Wanchai. Past winners include (but are not limited to) buildings like PMQ, Hong Kong Science Park Phase 3ab, Harmony Place, and Double Cove. Overseas winners include "The Amethyst" in Shanghai, and the Chengdu International Finance Square.
Categories and Eligibility
The six award categories for QBA 2018 are as follows:
1) Hong Kong Residential
- Nominated new building must be a single independent structure not part of a complex containing other buildings.
- Major Function of the nominated building must be for residential use.
2) Hong Kong Residential
- Nominated new buildings must be a group of buildings of similar kinds, which for m a residential complex.
- Major Function of the nominated multiple buildings must be for residential use.
3) Hong Kong Non-Residential
( New Building - Government, Institution or Community)
- Major Function of the nominated new building must be for Government, Institution or Community use.
- Nominated new building may be single or multiple buildings.
4) Hong Kong Non-Residential ( New Building -- Non- Government, Institution or Community)
- Major Function of the nominated new building must be for non-residential use or non-GIC use .
- Nominated new building may be single or multiple buildings.
5) H ong Kong Building ( Renovation / Revitalization )
- Nominated existing building must have undergone and completed a renovation, restoration, revitalization or similar process to its physical structure and/or communal facilities.
- Nominated existing building may be a residential or non-residential building.
6) Building Outside Hong Kong
- Nominated building must be outside the territorial limits of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region.
- Major Function of the nominated new building must be for residential or non-residential use.
* Eligible buildings should possess either Occupation Permits (OP or Phased OP), Acknowledgment letters on Form BA14 or Confirmation letter of Substantial Completion between 1 January 2014 and 30 June 2017 as stated in the submission requirements.
Multiple awards are provided every year. They are ranked as follows:
Quality Excellence Award
O nly o ne Quality Excellence Award will be presented to a project within the territorial limits of Hong Kong Special Administrative Region with outstanding OVERALL quality that is judged to be the BEST among all the Grand Award Winners.
There will be recognition of Grand Award Winner(s) for each nomination category. This is the highest recognition to projects at the category level.
There will be recognition of merit(s) for each nomination category.
There will be recognition of finalist(s) for each nomination that has passed the first screening, site visits and that has been present ed at the Finalist Presentation to Jury Panel cum Conference.
* QBA 2018 Organizing Committee reserves the right not to bestow an award if the Jury Panel deems that no nomination is worth receiving that particular award. The decision of the Jury Panel shall be final.
Advisors and Jury Panel
QBA 201 8 is supported by the following industry leaders as Honorary Advisors and Jurors. Jurors are selected from various backgrounds to provide a balanced perspective:
Ir Dr Lo Wai Kwok, SBS, MH, JP
Legislative Council Member, Engineering
The Hon Abraham Shek Lai Him, GBS, SBS, JP
Legislative Council Member , Real Estate and Construction
Jury Panel Chairman
Dr CHEUNG Tin Cheung, JP
Director, Buildings Department, Hong Kong SAR Government
Jury Panel Vice-Chairman
Sr LAI Yuk Fai, Stephen
Chairman of QBA 2018 Organizing Committee
Dr CHAN Chi Kau, Johnnie , BBS, JP
President, The Hong Kong Institute of Housing
Ir CHAN Kwok Cheung, Thomas
Senior Vice President, The Hong Kong Institution of Engineers
Mr Marvin CHEN
President, The Hong Kong Institute of Architects
Prof Nelson CHEN
Director, School of Architecture, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
Mr Philip FUNG
Vice President, The Hong Kong Chapter of International Facility Management Association
Ir CS HO
Deputy Chairman, Hong Kong Quality Assurance Agency
Sr Thomas HO
President, The Hong Kong Institute of Surveyors
Mr Eddie LAM
First Vice President, The Hong Kong Construction Association
Mr LAM Sair Ling
Adjunct Associate Professor, Division of Architectural Conservation Programmes, Faculty of Architecture, The University of Hong Kong
Mrs Sylvia LAM, JP
Deputy Director, Architectural Services Department, Hong Kong SAR Government
Mr SIT Wing Hang, Alfred, JP
Deputy Director, Electrical and Mechanical Services Department, Hong Kong SAR Government
Cr TANG Chi Wang
President, Hong Kong Institute of Construction Managers
For more information about QBA and QBA 201 8 , including the nomination procedures and past winners, please visit the official website at www.QBA.com.hk and follow our facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/QBAHK/ .
About Quality Building Award
The Quality Building Award was co-founded in 2001 by nine building and construction related institutes and associations in Hong Kong. The award , held biennially, gives public recognition to buildings of outstanding quality that demonstrate outstanding teamwork and excellence across a range of categories.
Organizers of QBA 201 8
QBA 201 8 is co-organized by nine professional institutions in Hong Kong. They are:The Hong Kong Institute of Surveyors (Chair for QBA 2018) The Hong Kong Institute of Architects The Hong Kong Construction Association The Hong Kong Institute of Construction Managers The Hong Kong Institution of Engineers -Building Division -Building Services Division -Structural Division The Hong Kong Institute of Housing The Hong Kong Quality Assurance Agency The Hong Kong Chapter of International Facility Management Association The Real Estate Developers Association of Hong Kong