Energy BBDO wins Grand Prix for National Safety Council's 'Prescribed to Death' campaign
Grand Prix campaign image: National Safety Council
LONDON, Jan 22, 2019 - (ACN Newswire) - A campaign by Energy BBDO for American non-profit organisation, the National Safety Council, has won the Grand Prix and the Early Adopter Award in the Effective Use of Tech category of the 2018 WARC Media Awards.
The Prescribed to Death campaign raised awareness of prescription opioid overdose in the US with an innovative live experience supported by a multimedia campaign. Prescription opioids contribute to the deaths of more than 22,000 Americans each year. An NSC survey on drug abuse revealed that one in three Americans taking prescription opioids don't even know they're taking opioids, so the campaign targeted household health decision-makers and pain-sufferers.
The campaign launched opioid educational information on Facebook, developed 'Warn Me' labels for insurance cards and, using data and images of overdose victims, created a digital memorial wall and drove awareness via ads on social media, OOH and radio.
The campaign attracted close to 2.5 billion earned impressions, built recognition for the NSC and more than one million Americans put the labels on their insurance cards.
Ben Sutherland, Chief Digital Officer, Diageo, who was on the jury for the 2018 WARC Media Awards' Effective Use of Tech category, commented on the Grand Prix winner: "The way they used the tech to demonstrate the mortality rate was really good. It was an incredibly emotive area and also very impactful -- it's everything I'd like my teams to be creating."
A Silver and the Most Scalable Idea Award -- for a tech-led idea with the scope to make an impact within its sector and, potentially, beyond -- has been won by OMD Media Direction Russia, Media Direction Group. The agency took the silver for a multimedia campaign for ride-hailing service Uber that used its own 'smart out-of-home' system to grow penetration.
A Bronze and the Platform Pioneer Award --for how a brand found an innovative and effective way to use an existing platform -- has been awarded to Colenso BBDO, MediaCom NZ for its Bank of New Zealand campaign The Most Prosperous ATM, in which a modified ATM was used, backed by a multimedia strategy, to transform the Chinese New Year experience and attract Chinese customers in New Zealand.
The full list of winners Effective Use of Tech category -- WARC Media Awards 2018 are:
Prescribed to Death - National Safety Council - Energy BBDO - United States + Early Adopter Award
- The Wentworth Rat - Showcase - Foxtel - Mindshare Australia - Australia
- Highway Gallery - Louvre Abu Dhabi - ADTCA - TBWA\RAAD - United Arab Emirates
- Golden Egg Crunch - KFC - QSR Stores Sdn Bhd - Ensemble Worldwide, Universal McCann - Malaysia
- Energy Broadcast System - Flying Pig Marathon - Barefoot Proximity - United States
- TasteFace - Marmite - Unilever - AnalogFolk - United Kingdom
- Racing the Sun - Volvo - Courageous Studios, Mindshare - United States
- Smart technologies increase offline media efficiency - Uber - Uber Technology - OMD Media Direction Russia, Media Direction Group - Russian Federation + Most Scalable Idea Award
- The most prosperous ATM - Bank of New Zealand - Colenso BBDO, MediaCom NZ - New Zealand + Platform Pioneer Award
- Real-time multiscreen sync - Breeze - Unilever Philippines - Mindshare Philippines - Philippines
- Less screen time, more play time - OMO - Unilever - Mindshare, Lowe - Vietnam
- World Cup Winning Moments - Clear Men - Unilever Indonesia - Mindshare Indonesia, AdColony - Indonesia
More information on the WARC Media Awards 2018 - Effective Use of Tech winners, as well as the winners of the Best Use of Data and Effective Channel Integration categories, is available on www.warc.com/mediaawards.prize?tab=tech. The winners of the Effective Use of Partnerships & Sponsorships category will be announced shortly.
The WARC Media Awards are a comprehensive set of awards rewarding pioneering communications planning which has made a positive impact on business results for brands around the world. The Grands Prix and Special Awards share a total prize fund of $40,000.
- advertising evidence, insights and best practice
WARC provides the latest evidence, expertise and guidance to make marketers more effective. WARC's mission is to save the world from ineffective marketing.
WARC's clients include the world's largest brands, advertising and media agencies, media owners, research companies and universities. They rely on WARC for rigorous, unbiased information and advice on almost any advertising and marketing issue, which WARC delivers via best practice guides, case studies, research papers, special reports and advertising trend data, as well as via webinars, awards, events and advisory services.
WARC collaborates with more than 50 respected industry organisations globally including: The Advertising Research Foundation, Cannes Lions, Effie Worldwide, Association of National Advertisers, ESOMAR, 4A's, IPA and DMA.
WARC was founded in 1985, and has offices in the UK, US and Singapore. In July 2018, WARC became part of Ascential plc, the global specialist information company.
Ascential is a specialist, global information company that helps the world's most ambitious businesses win in the digital economy. Our information, insights, connections, data and digital tools solve customer problems in three disciplines:
- Product Design via global trend forecasting service WGSN;
- Marketing via global benchmark for creative excellence and effectiveness Cannes Lions and WARC, and strategic advisory firm MediaLink; and
- Sales via ecommerce-driven data, insights and advisory service Edge by Ascential, leading managed services provider for Amazon Flywheel Digital, the world's premier payments and Fin Tech congress Money20/20, global retail industry summit World Retail Congress and retail news outlet Retail Week.
Ascential also powers political, construction and environmental intelligence brands DeHavilland, Glenigan and Groundsure.
Amanda Benfell PR Manager +44 20 7467 8125 email@example.com
Copyright 2019 ACN Newswire. All rights reserved. www.acnnewswire.com