Cabby's negligence leads to spine and facial injuries for biker

He could not stop his motorbike in time when a taxi cut into his path.

Mr Koh Joo Cheng, 57, a repairman, slammed into the rear of the cab and he suffered serious facial and spinal injuries.

It was so bad, he was given 136 days of hospitalisation leave.

Yesterday, cabby See Cheng Aun was given the maximum $2,500 fine and was disqualified from driving all classes of vehicles for a year.

At about 6.15am on Sept 11, 2014, the cabby, now 55, was driving his taxi along a carpark service road near Block 121, Bedok Reservoir Road, when he stopped at a non-signalised junction.

He failed to give way when making a right turn into Bedok Reservoir Road towards Kaki Bukit Avenue 1 and he encroached into Mr Koh's path.

Mr Koh could not swerve or brake in time and he hit the taxi. He was rushed by ambulance to Changi General Hospital (CGH). See was unhurt.

A report by Dr Cheow Xunqi of CGH said Mr Koh injured his spine and suffered multiple facial fractures. He was later transferred to Khoo Teck Puat Hospital (KTPH).

In a medical report dated Oct 9 last year, Dr Ye Madong from KTPH said Mr Koh suffered numbness and muscular weakness in all four limbs.

The court heard that his hospital stay was complicated by urinary tract sepsis (blood poisoning) and a slow heart rate.

Mr Koh was transferred to Tan Tock Seng Hospital (TTSH) on Oct 16, 2014, and was discharged two months later.

Mr Koh was given hospitalisation leave from Oct 16, 2014 until Feb 28, last year. According to one of his medical reports, it was unlikely he would go to work soon.

Yesterday, See pleaded guilty to one count of causing hurt to Mr Koh by performing a negligent act.

Unrepresented by a lawyer, he told District Judge Salina Ishak he has two daughters to support and wanted to continue working as a cabby.

See could have been jailed for up to six months.

This article was first published on Jan 28, 2016. Get The New Paper for more stories.