A HK$3.1 million (S$542,000) luxury car was at the centre of a tunnel accident in Hong Kong after it crossed into an opposite lane and caused a collision between a double-decker bus and a taxi before daybreak on Thursday.
The Bentley was travelling along the Cross-Harbour Tunnel when the crash occurred at 4am. The driver, surnamed Lu and aged 50, suffered hand and ear injuries, with 10 others slightly hurt in the incident.
Lu was arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol after he failed a breathalyser test, police said.
He was driving the Bentley Bentayga V8 sports model in the northbound tunnel, heading toward Causeway Bay with a taxi behind him. A Citybus double-decker was in the opposite lane towards Hung Hom.
At the time, the tunnel stretch had been converted for two-way traffic as its southbound section was closed for maintenance.Vehicles in Hung Hom entering the Cross-Harbour Tunnel. Photo: South China Morning Post
"An initial investigation showed the car suddenly crossed into the opposite lane and collided head-on with the bus, which then ran out of control and rammed into the taxi," a police spokesman said.
He said the three drivers, seven bus passengers and a taxi passenger were injured in the incident.
All of the injured - eight men and three women, aged 23 to 62 - were taken conscious to Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Yau Ma Tei for treatment.
The white Bentley was badly damaged on its front while the windscreen of the bus was shattered on its left side from the impact.
Lu bought the luxury car in February for HK$3.1 million, according to car registration records.
Police figures show 26 people died and more than 4,300 were injured in 3,434 traffic accidents across the city in the first three months of the year.
This article was first published in South China Morning Post.