If you keep pets indoors, be aware of what houseplants you can and cannot keep. The American Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) warns that certain plants can pose a potential danger to dogs and cats.
Useful for treating burns on humans. However, the latex, if ingested, can cause stomach pain, vomiting or diarrhoea in cats and dogs.
Peace Lily (Spathiphyllum):
Although the peace lily produces beautiful blooms, its leaves can be harmful if ingested by cats and dogs. They can cause oral irritation and intense burning of the mouth, excessive drooling, vomiting and difficulty swallowing.
Umbrella tree (Schefflera):
A delicate-looking plant, it is harmful to your pets. Among the signs of poisoning are burning and irritation of the mouth, drooling and vomiting.
Marijuana (Cannabis sativa):
Not only is it illegal to grow marijuana in Malaysia but it is also toxic to your pets. The effects include depression, vomiting, incoordination, sleepiness, hypersalivation, dilated pupils, low blood pressure, seizures, comas and, in rare cases, death.
Looks great in the house but be cautious about purchasing this plant if you keep cats or dogs indoors. Known to cause oral irritation, burning and irritation of the mouth, excessive drooling, vomiting and difficulty swallowing.
Swiss cheese plant / Cutleaf Philodendron (Monstera deliciosa): Known for its beautiful, large split leaves, the swiss cheese plant is sadly not a good choice inside the house. It is known to cause oral irritation, burning of the mouth, excessive drooling, vomiting and difficulty swallowing for pets.