31 actors suffer burns after filming goes awry on Malaysia set

PHOTO: The Star/Asia News Network

PETALING JAYA - Fuel that was vapourised caused burns on actors during a filming in Bandar Bukit Puchong, Selangor.

In describing it as an accident, a Fire and Rescue Department spokesman said the film crew used petrol to ignite some wooden houses during a shoot.

However, he said, while the crew was pouring the petrol on the houses, it vapourised into the air.

Photo: The Star/Asia News Network

"The vapourisation process ended on the clothes of the actors, and when the petrol was ignited, their clothes caught fire," the spokesman said.

He said firemen were on standby at the scene.

【晚报e乐】香港80年代著名打星,60岁的资深女星杨盼盼昨天在马来西亚拍火灾戏,火势失控,导致她7%二度烧伤,包括脸部和手脚!据电影监制林德荣昨晚公布的伤者名单,共有31名演员在这次意外中受伤,其中两名演员还在加护病房治疗中。http://bit.ly/2NQd3Fm (《大地回春》监制林德荣提供视频)

Posted by Lianhe Wanbao 联合晚报 on Tuesday, September 18, 2018

The film crew had notified them that they wanted to film a burning scene, he added.

31 cast members, including Hong Kong veteran actress Sharon Yeung Pan-pan, 59, Malaysian actress Joey Leong, 24, and actor Cedric Loo, 30, were injured during the filming on Monday.

They are warded at the Sunway Medical Centre.

According to reports, Yeung suffered second-degree burns on the left side of her face, her right arm, and both legs while Leong had similar burns on both legs.

31 actors suffer burns after their clothes catch fire during filming in Malaysia

  • Thirty-one cast members were taken to hospital after being injured while filming a burning scene in Bandar Bukit Puchong, Selangor, on Monday (Sep 17).
  • They include Hong Kong veteran actress Sharon Yeung Pan-pan, 59, Malaysian actress Joey Leong, 24, and actor Cedric Loo, 30.
  • Yeung suffered second-degree burns on the left side of her face, her right arm and both legs, while Leong had similar burns on both legs.
  • A Fire and Rescue Department spokesman said the film crew had used petrol to ignite some wooden houses during the shoot.
  • However, while the crew was pouring the petrol on the houses, it vapourised into the air.
  • “The vapourisation process ended on the clothes of the actors, and when the petrol was ignited, their clothes caught fire,” added the spokesman.