Asia’s best restaurant is still Gaggan, extending its winning streak to four years now, a feat matched only by El Bulli in Spain, in the World’s 50 Best Restaurants.
In a momentous announcement during Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants 2018, sponsored by S. Pellegrino and Acqua Panna, held at the Grand Theater at Wynn Place in Macau, Gaggan in Bangkok was hailed as Asia’s number one restaurant for 2018.
Also cited are four restaurants that entered the top 10 for the first time this year. Amber moved from no. 3 to 7; 8 1/2 Otto e Mezzo Bombana fell to no. 13 from no. 4; and Nahm bagged the 10th slot from last year’s no.5.
Former runner-up Restaurant Andre dropped out of the list as it closed last February 2018. Four restaurants based in Tokyo made the top 10.
No Manila restaurant made it to the prestigious roster, although Jordy Navarra’s Toyo Eatery was proclaimed winner of the Miele One to Watch Award.
The top 10 winners:
1. Gaggan (Bangkok, Thailand)
2. Den (Tokyo, Japan)
3. Florilege (Tokyo, Japan)
4. Sühring (Bangkok, Thailand)
5. Odette (Singapore, Singapore)
6. Narisawa (Tokyo, Japan)
7. Amber (Hong Kong China)
8. Ultraviolet by Paul Pairet (Shanghai, China)
9. Nihonryori RyuGin (Tokyo, Japan)
10. Nahm (Bangkok, Thailand)
• Andre Chiang, winner of The Diners Club Lifetime Achievement Award
• Bongkoch Satongun, elit Vodka Asia’s Best Female Chef 2018
• Nicolas Lambert, Asia’s Best Pastry Chef, sponsored by Valrhona
• Mume, Highest Climber Award
• La Cime, Highest New Entry Award, sponsored by Aspire Lifestyles
• Yoshihiro Narisawa, Chefs’ Choice Award, sponsored by Estrella Damm
• Ultraviolet, Art of Hospitality Award
• L’effervescence, Sustainable Restaurant Award
To see the full list of restaurants, visit www.theworlds50best.com/asia.