MUAR, Malaysia - Eighty-three pupils of a Malaysian school in Muar suffered food poisoning after drinking milk supplied under the free milk scheme.
The pupils started vomiting and purging 30 minutes after drinking the milk during recess on Thursday.
School authorities, which stopped the media from entering the compound, alerted the Health Department, which rushed teams to the school.
One of the pupils said he had to run to the toilet after drinking the milk - "I vomited three times when I was in the toilet and purged twice. After I returned to my class, several friends also suffered similar pains. My teacher quickly took us to another room."
State Women, Family, Health and Community Development Committee chairman Dr Robia Kosai said cases of food poisoning in schools should be resolved fast.
"We want the Health Department and those related with food supplied at all schools to ensure all food is fresh and clean," she added.