Boy chokes to death on a fish ball

A bowl of fish balls
PHOTO: Boy chokes to death on a fish ball

SUNGAI PETANI - A four-year-old child choked to death on a fish ball at an upscale residential area here.

The deceased was identified as Lim Wei Kiat.

The incident occurred at about 4pm yesterday when Wei Kiat took the delicacy from his mother at a relative's house at Resort Home in Persiaran Cinta Sayang.

The boy popped the fish ball, which was the size of a 50 sen coin, in a hurry, imitating how his mother was eating it then.

However, it got stuck in his throat and his mother tried in vain to get it out.

A relative, identified only as Wong, rushed him to the Sultan Abdul Halim Hospital for treatment.

Medical assistants at the hospital's emergency unit tried to save him, but the boy died three hours later due to insufficient oxygen.

Kuala Muda district police chief Assistant Commissioner of Police Khalil Arifin said the case had been classified as sudden death.