SINGAPORE - With over 800 cases reported weekly and three deaths so far, Singapore is still in the "danger period" for dengue, said Environment and Water Resources Minister Vivian Balakrishnan yesterday.
There have been over 11,200 cases of dengue reported this year, as of yesterday afternoon. On Tuesday, an 86-year-old man died at Khoo Teck Puat Hospital from dengue shock syndrome.
Despite the haze, National Environment Agency (NEA) officers cannot take a break, and must continue their anti-dengue efforts, such as inspecting homes for mosquito breeding grounds, Dr Balakrishnan said.
However, should the haze worsen, the operations may have to be "scaled down", he said.
He urged the public to cooperate with NEA officers and open their homes for inspection, and to continue taking precautions like applying mosquito repellent and consulting a doctor if they have a fever.
Get My Paper for more stories.