Less use of trans fat now

Photo above: Dr Khor, Mr Ang (right) and BreadTalk's technical director for research and development Janson Loo at the BreadTalk outlet at Paragon Shopping Cen.

SINGAPORE - It can clog arteries, cause heart disease and lead to ballooning waistlines. But the good news is that trans fat is on the decline here.

At least 70 per cent of the Republic's supplies of margarine, shortening and cooking oil have been found to meet limits imposed by the Government earlier this year.

This means they contain only 2g of trans fat per 100g.

Retailers must also stock only products meeting the new limits, and trans fat levels have to be stated on nutrition information labels.

More than 80 per cent of fats and oils being sold on shelves have been labelled. The remaining 20 per cent should meet the requirement by May next year, the deadline for the trans fat regulation.

Health Promotion Board chief executive Ang Hak Seng said the limit was introduced as Singaporeans were consuming a worrying amount of trans fat.

"A mere 4g increase in trans fat can result in a 23 per cent increase in the risk of heart disease," he said. "This amount is equivalent to the amount found in two doughnuts."

Yesterday, Mr Ang and Minister of State for Health Amy Khor toured the kitchen of BreadTalk at the Paragon Shopping Centre.

All of the food chain's products are made using ingredients that meet the trans fat limit.

Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.

Purchase this article for republication.
Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.