SINGAPORE - The 44-year-old, who has two teenage sons, was rushed to hospital when she collapsed in a clinic after the cosmetic procedure to remove fat from her abdomen and use it to make her thighs smoother.
Get the full story from The Straits Times .
An SCDF spokesman said it received a call at about 2.55pm last Friday and an ambulance was dispatched to the clinic. Paramedics arrived at around 3pm.
A female Chinese subject was quickly transferred to an SCDF stretcher and their paramedics took over cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and took her to the Singapore General Hospital where she was pronouced dead.
A Ministry of Health (MOH) spokesperson said that it is aware of the case and is currently "ascertaining the facts of the case". It said the ministry is investigating the death.
The death is the second liposuction death after property firm owner Franklin Heng died after doctors gave him too much sedative during a liposuction operation.
State Coroner Victor Yeo said that Mr Heng was given a large dose of propofol - the same sedative that killed pop singer Michael Jackson.
The effect of the drug was almost like a general anaesthetic, which prevented Mr Heng from reacting when Dr Wong accidentally punctured his intestines 13 times.
The procedure was carried out at Reves Clinic in Orchard Road on Dec 30, 2009. When Mr Heng reacted to the pain by struggling and moving his arms, the doctors sedated him further, not realising he was injured. Dr Jim Wong had stepped out for a toilet break for five minutes about 20 minutes after the procedure ended, leaving his nurse alone to dress Mr Wong's wounds.
Upon returning, he was unable to rouse Mr Heng, who had turned pale and unresponsive. He then called for the ambulance and began performing cardiopulmonary resuscitation. Mr Heng was then taken to Tan Tock Seng Hospital where he died without regaining consciousness.
Mr Heng died from the effects of asphyxia because he was unable to support his own airway.