Overcoming premature ejaculation

Q: I am a life-long sufferer of Premature Ejaculation, and would like to add on few pointers to the other readers on my own experience.

To ensure my partner to achieve orgasm as well, I prolong the foreplay interval. Only after she has achieved orgasm, then we will commence real intimacy. So even though I have premature ejaculation, at least both parties are satisfied.

I am very keen to find out the average time of intercourse for an average ASEAN man, since mine is only 2-5 minutes.

Curious

A: You are a true gentleman. Firstly, I thank you for sharing your own bedroom experience with the readers. Secondly, only selfless man would let the ladies go first! I am certain your tip is valuable for accommodating partners like yourself.

Indeed, many famous sexologists in the past had advocated different techniques to overcome this sexual dysfunction. Some recommended self-treatment including distraction therapy by trying to focus attention away from sexual stimulations. Others suggest masturbation prior to penetrative intercourse.

Freudian Theory postulated hostility and frustration of Premature Ejaculation sufferers towards women, hence suggesting the treatment of psychoanalysis.

In 1950's, Masters and Johnsons developed the "Stop-start technique" and "The Squeeze Technique" to overcome Premature Ejaculation. Both of the techniques aim to desensitize and reduce excessive arousal.

For all the above, the researchers had declared triumphal success of respective intervention as "remarkable therapeutic effect on premature ejaculation".

The reality is, the above interventions are not completely desirable. Most are described as cumbersome, unnatural and unsatisfactory. Although short-term efficacy is unchallenged; their long-term compliance is questionable.

Finally, What is normal? The famous sexologist, Kinsey in the late 1940's concluded three quarters of men ejaculate within two minutes of penetration in half of their sexual encounters. The reality is very different in ASEAN in the 21st century. Recent studies revealed 90 per cent of men suffering from PE ejaculate within 1 minute of penetration and the other 10 per cent within 2 minutes. Other surveys also revealed normal men have ejaculation latency period of 5-8 minutes. From, the scientific data, I guess you can be classified as non-PE but mostly below average in your interval of intercourse.

I hope that did not put a dent on your spirit.

Dr George Lee is a consultant Urologist and Clinical Associate Professor whose professional interest is in men's health. The column "Ask Dr G" is a forum to help men debunk the myths and taboos on men's issues that may be too "hard" to mention. You can send him questions at askdrg@thestar.com.my