Parents want boy in botched circumcision out of hospital

PETALING JAYA - The parents of the boy involved in the third botched circumcision case have decided to ask for a discharge from the Selayang Hospital where he was being treated.

Health director-general Datuk Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said the 10-year-old boy was brought to the hospital's emergency department two days after undergoing a mass circumcision ceremony at a surau near his home on Nov 25.

Read Also: Boys who suffered from botched circumcision have no problem urinating: Doctor

The parents, Dr Noor Hisham said, had noticed bleeding from the circumcision wound with urine being passed from a coronal fistula on the distal penile shaft (the false opening at the lower part of his penis) due to an injury to the urethra.

"Upon examination, it was noted that there was no active bleeding in the penis as reported in the media," he said in a statement here yesterday.

The parents, he added, were informed by the consultant paediatric urologist that surgical treatment should preferably take place after the swelling had subsided and the vascularity (veins) to the penis glans improved.

"The corona fistula will then be repaired through surgery once the surrounding tissues have healed. The boy was reviewed three times a day while in the ward," he said.

Read Also: Boy loses part of penis in botched circumcision: Father pleads for help

The parents, said Dr Noor Hisham, then decided to seek a second opinion from a specialist at a private hospital and asked for a discharge at their own risk.

The hospital, he added, had provided the parents with a memo to the medical facility concerned, outlining the boy's status.

Read Also: Boy loses penis during botched laser circumcision

"They also informed the parents that they could come back for follow-up consultation at the hospital at any time," he said.

On Sunday, it was reported that the boy, who was later sent to a private hospital and underwent three unsuccessful surgeries, now had to use a catheter and a urine bag after severe damage to his penis.

"The ministry is currently carrying out further investigation of this case," said Dr Noor Hisham.