THAILAND - The Food and Drug Administration has issued a warning about a toxic cough syrup that has caused at least 17 deaths in Pakistan.
FDA secretary-general Boonchai Somboonsuk said the Tyno brand cough syrup hasn't been registered in Thailand. The agency has ordered checkpoints to be on watch for Tyno. Officials say the fatalities are mainly among drug addicts who drank the syrup to get high.
The FDA and Public Health Ministry officials also checked drug stores and drug factories nationwide, Boonchai added.
"People who bring the cough syrup to Thailand will be punished, especially in the South," he said.
Tyno contains dextromethorphan, a cough sedative that is a controlled substance. According to FDA regulations, drug stores are limited to selling just three bottles at a time and 300 bottles per month.