Woman burned by acid on MRT seat

SINGAPORE - A 27-year-old Malaysian woman sustained a burn wound on her buttocks after she sat on a wet seat on board an MRT train last Saturday.

The unknown liquid on the seat left her with a 7cm wound, reported Chinese evening newspaper Lianhe Wanbao yesterday.

The report said that the woman, known only as Ms Law, boarded the northbound train at Raffles Place Station.

Ms Law, who works as a hairdresser in Tiong Bahru, had been on her way home to Yishun at the time.

She said she spotted an empty seat and proceeded to sit on it, but switched seats immediately after she felt a wet spot on her pants.

Less than a minute later, Ms Law felt a burning sensation on her buttocks, which quickly intensified and became a searing pain.

She alighted at Dhoby Ghaut Station to check and found a burn wound, about the size of her palm, on her right buttock.

She was so shocked by what she saw that she started crying.

She approached an SMRT staff member for help and was rushed to the Singapore General Hospital for treatment.

Ms Law was given 10 days of medical leave and is scheduled to go for a check-up on Monday, said Lianhe Wanbao.

“We are sorry about Ms Law’s experience. We have been calling her since the incident to make sure she is fine, and to find out how this might have happened,” said an SMRT spokesman.

The case has been reported to the police and investigations are ongoing.


For more my paper stories click here.