15 officers fired over immigration system sabotage

SEPANG: The Immigration Department has dismissed 15 officers who were involved in sabotaging the implementation of the Malaysian Immigration System (myIMMs).

Immigration director-general Datuk Seri Sakib Kusmi said those terminated had served for between six months and 15 years.

He added that 14 more officers were suspended from work while eight officers had been subjected to a freeze in salary raises pending investigations.

"We also took drastic actions by transferring 63 officers out of our headquarters in Putrajaya and we have also prepared a new name list for those who will be based in the airports," he told a press conference at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport on Tuesday.

Sakib added that another 20 personnel, believed to be involved directly or indirectly in sabotaging the Immigration system, were being monitored by the department's intelligence division.

Last Thursday, Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi said some 100 people, including Immigration officers and syndicate members, were being investigated on suspicion of being involved in sabotaging the implementation of myIMMs.