KUALA NERANG - Some 160 students at SMK Dato Syed Ahmad here have come down with food poisoning, believed to be due to a dinner they had at the school hostel.
Yesterday, the students - aged between 13 and 17 - complained of stomachache, diarrhoea and vomiting before school began.
Sixty-nine of them were later sent to the Kuala Nerang Hospital while the rest were treated at the school.
Wan Nur Fatihah Wan Osman, 14, said she was walking to the morning assembly when she was suddenly overcome by headache and nausea.
“Our teachers sent those who were sick to the hospital,” she said.
A Form Five student, who declined to be named, said he felt nauseous after breakfast.
“I ate ayam masak merah during dinner, but it did not taste any different. So, I don’t know exactly how I came down with the illness,” he said, adding that they also had tomyam.
Kedah Health Department director Datuk Dr Ismail Abu Taat said two of the 69 students sent to the hospital were admitted while the rest received outpatient treatment.
“We have yet to identify the cause of the food poisoning, but we believe that this could be due to the food they ate during dinner on Sunday night,” he said.
He said the school’s dining hall had been ordered closed for two weeks for an investigation.