IPOH - A three-year-old boy was rushed to the hospital after his pants were caught in an escalator, causing both the fabric and the tip of his penis to get stuck in the contraption at a supermarket in Bagan Serai, some 92km from here.
Upon receiving a distress call at 8.16pm on Monday (June 6), the Fire and Rescue Department rushed to the scene and found the boy bawling as his lower body was trapped in the escalator.
Operations chief senior officer II Nasir Wahab said the boy, who was with his father at the time, had got on the escalator heading to the third floor, when he sat down on the escalator steps.
"The mishap happened when they were reaching the top of the escalator.
"His pants got pulled in at the start, before the tip of his penis got caught as well," he said.
Nasir said the escalator had already stopped moving when his team arrived at the scene.
"We used crowbars to remove the escalator panels surrounding the boy.
"Within half an hour, we got him out, and our Emergency Rescue Service team sent him to the Taiping Hospital for treatment," he said.
More recent escalator mishaps:
- Boy's toes get caught in escalator near Toa Payoh HDB Hub (June 4, 2016)
- Escalator breaks apart at Malaysia airport (June 5, 2016)
- Man suffers fracture after left leg gets stuck in escalator in China (May 26, 2016)
- Escalator kept moving with my son's hand still stuck in it, says mother (May 19, 2016)
- Toddler's fingers severed after running up escalator in China (Apr 1, 2016)
- Man hurt in chaos after metal falls off MRT station escalator (Mar 6, 2016)
- Boy who lost foot in KL escalator accident:' Mum, my foot is damaged' (Feb 13, 2016)
- Part of boy's toe severed after his foot got stuck in escalator at National Library (Jan 27, 2016)
- Woman escapes injury after escalator step breaks at The Arcade (Jan 6, 2016)
- Woman dies in China escalator mishap (July 28, 2015)