Aircraft debris pieces arrive in Australia

KUALA LUMPUR: The two pieces of aircraft debris found in Mozambique have arrived in Australia where an investigation team will look for possible links to missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370.

The examination of the two pieces, which will be carried out by an international team of experts led by Malaysia, is expected to begin tomorrow.

Transport Minister Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai (pic) said the pieces were sent from Malaysia on Saturday night and arrived in Australia on Sunday morning.

"The MH370 Safety Investigation Team will carry out the examination and analysis on the two pieces of debris with the assistance of experts from the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB), the Department of Civil Aviation Malaysia (DCA), Malaysia Airlines (MAS) and Boeing to verify their origins.

"This is in order to adhere to full transparency and accountability in accordance with international protocols, whereby both pieces of debris will only be examined in Canberra once it is in the presence of these experts," Liow said in a statement.

He added that he hoped the results from the examination could be made available soon.

If the two pieces are indeed from MH370, they would be the second and third parts of the Boeing 777 that have been found after over two years of mystery surrounding the dissapearance of the aircraft.

The first piece of debris was recovered from Mozambique.

The second piece, also from Mozambique, had been brought to South Africa by the family that discovered it.

In 2015, a piece of MH370's flaperon was discovered washed up on the shores of La Reunion Island.

Jacquita Gonzales, wife of MH370 in-flight supervisor Patrick Gomes, had called on the international search team to recruit countries in the western parts of the Indian Ocean to be on the lookout for possible debris pieces.

Liow had said that a Malaysian team would comb the Mozambique beach for more aircraft fragments.