Army doctor among eight charged over Morais' murder

Eight men including an army doctor were charged over the murder of Deputy Public Prosecutor (DPP) Anthony Kevin Morais at the magistrate's court here on Monday.

G. Gunasegaran, 47; R. Dineshwaran, 23; Thinesh Kumar, 22; M. Viswanath, 25; S. Nirmalan, 22, and S. Ravi Chandran, 44, allegedly committed the offence between 7am and 9pm on their way from Dutamas, Sentul to USJ1 Subang Jaya on Sept 4.

All six were charged for murder under Section 302 of the Penal Code.

Army pathologist, Col Dr R. Kunaseegaran, 48, was charged with abetting the murder under Section 109 of the Penal Code.

The seven suspects face the death penalty if convicted.

Magistrate Siti Radziah Kamardin fixed Nov 30 for mention pending the post-mortem and chemist reports.

The prosecution team was led by DPP Datuk Abdul Razak, Manoj Kurup and Mohd Dusuki Mokhtar.

Defence counsel M. Manoharan represented Dineshwaran while Dato N. Sivananthan and Dato Geethan Ram Vincent appeared for Dr Kunaseegaran.

The other five accused were unrepresented.

Also present at the court were Morais' brothers, Charles Suresh Morais and Dato Richard Dilaan Morais.

In PETALING JAYA, a mechanic has been charged with abetting Morais' murder at the magistrate's court here.

A. Murugan Arujalan, who was clad in a grey short sleeved shirt, was driven straight to the court's underground lock-up at 9.53am and covered his face while he was guided through the entrance.

The 44-year-old man appeared in the court room at 11.30am looking tired and dishevelled. Murugan kept his gaze locked upfront, not looking at the crowded dock.

Proceedings began at 11.35am. Murugan was asked if he understood the charge, and he nodded. No plea was recorded.

Magistrate Ahmad Solihin Abd Wahid set the next mention date on Nov 26 pending the post-mortem and chemist reports.

DPP Ishak Mohd Yusoff said the two reports should be ready in about two weeks.

Morais, who was described by his friends as kind, humble, dedicated and committed to his job, went missing on Sept 4 after leaving his residence in Menara Duta for work in Putrajaya in a grey Proton Perdana.

He was abducted by several men following a fender bender along Jalan Dutamas during morning rush hour traffic.

A DNA test performed on the body found in a cemented oil drum on Sept 16 matched that of Morais.

The oil drum was dumped at a swamp in Subang Jaya.

One of the suspects arrested led police to the location of the oil drum.

Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission director of legal and prosecution division Datuk Umar Saifuddin Jaafar has said that Morais, who was seconded to the MACC for 10 years, handled many high-profile cases.