Babysitter in Malaysia arrested after infant chokes to death on milk

PHOTO: The Star/Asia News Network

JOHOR BARU - A woman was remanded for one day on Thursday (April 11) to assist in the investigation into the death of a four-month-old baby believed to have choked on milk on Tuesday (April 9).

The remand order was issued by the magistrate's court assistant registrar, Nurhidayah Abd Manaf.

The babysitter to the victim, Haraz Mohd Hafez, arrived at the Magistrate and Sessions Court Complex remand room, here at about 11am on Thursday (April 11), accompanied by policemen.

Earlier reports say the baby choked to death after drinking milk at his babysitter's house on Jalan Merdeka near Kampung Melayu Majidee here on Tuesday afternoon.

According to the victim's father, Muhd Hafez Mohamed, 31, he received a call from the babysitter at about 2pm informing him that his son, Haraz Mohd Hafez, was unconscious.

He then hurried to the babysitter's house.

The baby was pronounced dead after being sent to Sultanah Aminah Hospital (HSA) here.

The post-mortem report showed that the cause of the death of the victim was from "aspiration pneumonia", due to milk entering the lungs of the victim, blocking the lungs and causing a lack of oxygen.

The case is investigated under Section 304A of the Penal Code for carelessly causing death.