BMW driver high on police watch list

BMW driver high on police watch list

KUALA LUMPUR - The driver of a white BMW, implicated in an alleged hit-and-run video involving a motorcyclist, is high on police wanted list for traffic offences.

Police sources said the 28-year-old man, who was caught on a video that has since viral on the Internet, has four arrest warrants issued against him and 23 unpaid traffic summonses.

The man lodged a report on the accident at the Jalan Bandar traffic police station on Tuesday, a day after the incident.

However, it is unclear why he was not taken into police custody, despite being on the wanted list.

The man, a retail outlet supervisor from Sentul, is wanted fo running red lights (four cases), disregarding traffic signs (three), failure to report an accident within 24 hours, using a cellular phone while driving and speeding.

"There are also summonses for overtaking at double lines, driving in the emergency lane as well as driving without a valid road tax and insurance," sources close to the case told the New Straits Times.

Queries to another source in the Road Transport Department revealed that the RTD had issued him with two summonses for driving without a valid license and for driving a vehicle without a valid insurance policy.

As of noon yesterday, the victim, who was riding a Yamaha LC when he was rammed at an intersection in Taman Danau Kota here, has yet to lodge a police report.

The 32-second recording showed how the BMW 3-Series Coupé made a left turn into the main road without checking for oncoming traffic.

The motorcyclist, who was wearing a white helmet and a reversed sweater, was seen riding in Jalan Taman Ibu Kota before being rammed by the BMW, driven by the suspect.

The impact of the crash sent the victim crashing onto the BMW's bonnet and being thrown to the ground.

The video showed the driver stopping abruptly for no more than three seconds before driving off.

However, the recording did not show whether the driver fled the scene or proceeded to pull over.

In a phone interview with the New Straits Times, the driver, who identified himself as Mohan, said he wanted to help the motorcyclist but he thought it was best not to stop, for fear of attacks by a crowd, who he claimed was fast building up.

"I stopped by the roadside and opened the door, but I changed my mind when I saw many people from eateries running towards the scene," Mohan said.

He said he was on the way to Malacca for work in his uncle's BMW when the accident occurred.

He denied that he was reckless, saying that he turned into the main road only after making sure it was clear of oncoming traffic.

"I did not see the motorcyclist as I was approaching the junction.

"Like I have stated in my police report, I admit that it was my fault and I was issued a summons for failing to give way to the motorcyclist."

He said he had continued his journey to Malacca and lodged a report only after returning to the city the next day.

This website is best viewed using the latest versions of web browsers.